Friday, February 29, 2008

Home again, home again, dancing a jig

I haven't written in ages. I know. But it tends to happen when the few kitchens I have access to don't really have essential tools to bake (i.e any for of baking sheet, or a mixer of any kind.) I'm now back on my baking legs though, I was home for a few days over Spring Break, and baking in a little time I had. 
This cake is no way particularly unique or of my own idea. It is a simple strawberry mascarpone cream cake that I am embarrassed to say came from Rachael Ray. Shit happens. Anyway, the cake was very good. For the cream it's just mascarpone, sugar, and heavy cream whipped until it forms a thick cream. It's incredible, and is refreshing and a good change to just normal whipped cream. 
Annie the sous chef liked it a lot too! This dog stands by my side for every second that I am baking. It's incredible really I'll just take out the cutting board and next thing I know she's right next to me. My faithful companion (personally I think she's just in it for the food sometimes.) 
All in all, this recipe is simple, and takes hardly any brain power to do, but it's refreshing, and I feel just the right sweetness. I had to work on the original presentation a bit because it 
honestly looked like someone just took the biggest spoon they could find and dumped everything together. I'm not saying my presentation is fantastic, but it's an improvement. I'm sure if I had thought more, there were better ways to present this, and assemble it. I'm working on that. Also, a large portion of this blog isn't writing, but photography. I know. It is the best way for me to show what I've made and not botch it up with words. The photos will be endlessly more telling, and pretty. 

No comments: